OK, WARNING: This might get offensive.
I'm not trying to curse, offend, or hurt anyone's feelings here. If the whole point of this thing is speaking your mind (a scary concept) I gotta stick to the point.

We have a LIST by which ratings are given to movies, records, and games & labels are given to human beings. It's a list of cultural vocabulary that is frowned upon. Sailor language. Bad Words. Cursing.

My son picked up one of these from school the other day. We were driving in the car and he said, "Dad." "What?" I asked. "Fu-cker" he said in a high-pitched voice...then he laughed. I gently explained that if I heard him say that word again, he would regret it. Still, it made me think.

If you break down the etymology of the words on this list and their definitions, you'll see we often say their equivalents in our everyday speech. I'm not just talking about "by-words" either. I mean, is 'poop' a by-word?...How about 'number two?' But God forbid someone should say 'shit.'

Let's break down this 'shit' shall we? Isn't it a derivative of the Olde English/ Scottish word "shite," that commoners used to refer to fecal matter? Wasn't it during the Victorian Era that this word was demonized due to its "repulsive, vulgar" nature. Well Victoria is dead, and I don't wear a white wig. We say crap, poop, dookie, doo-doo, and all manner of names to refer to the same thing...it's even cute if Kids say them, but if I say "shit"...(Fill in your own conclusion)

Of course there are both tamer & wilder words on the list. Some are more offensive to certain people or in certain areas of the English speaking world. It's funny how I can say "Bloody" or "Bugger" here in San Diego, & most people could care less, but I would be highly offensive in a pulpit in London. Of course we have our own colloquialisms here as well.

Some are quite easy to deal with.

Ass = Arse = Butt = Rear-End/ Tushy = Glutious Maximous

Some are not.

Fuck = Screw = Have Sexual Intercourse (of some variety)

I know it's vulgar! I understand it's something that should never be on the lips of my 5 year old boy. I'm guessing he has no idea what it means...but does it even mean that any more? Hasn't it grown into just another expletive that people exclaim when being shocked or surprised, being angry or comical, trying to shock or surprise someone else?

It's funny to me that my devout Christian family grew up saying "Foot!" However, if someone would have said 'fuck' the picnic would be over due to thunderstorms in the area...know what I mean?

I'm not advocating for making curse words mainstream...or even saying they're ok. It seems like every culture has their variations of "bad words." I'm just questioning why we make a list in the 1st place.

Why? If it's the principle of the idea behind the words, the list should grow exponentially (we say words with the same meaning all the time)! If it's because of Vulgarity, the list should grow even larger (how about penis, fart, toe jam, fungus, boobies)! If the reason for the list is because, in some way or another, all these words are actually used to 'curse' someone, then the list would become gi-normous (we say idiot, moron, dork, nerd, stupid, hook you, screw you, jerk-off, get a job...etc. all the time... or at least a lot of preachers I know do)!

So, let's make a Talmud-like list (exhaustive in nature) of every word that offends, represents "lower" functions, or curses, then live according to that law as a society, culture, or Christian Bubble. Would this solve our problems? Would this insulate our young children from the evils of profanity? Would this isolate them further from the evil world outside the bubble? Or is the evil inside the bubble as well?...because we are in the bubble?...because we have evil in our nature and hearts, and if cursing was outlawed altogether we would come up with new slang to laugh at, new names to call each other & new words to shout in moments of surprise and horror?

See, to me (in principle) this is the same thing I see the early Christians struggling with...the thing Paul keeps combating in his letters. The sin drove them to a law, but the law was never meant to fix the problem of sin...only to shine a light on it (in my experience the law generally serves to entice it even more). So we, like the pendulum we invented (because it's motion mirrors our own), swing back and forth between legalism and lawlessness, and end up squandering the very thing Christ came to die for. "...that you might have life...more abundantly..."

I want to live by the law of Christ...the law of love...grace...learning to walk after the Spirit...be cause THAT....That's the shit!

4 Interesting Statements:

PastorSam said...

So I about wanted to throw my computer when you said "So let's break down S#@t." I thought. "I'd rather not."

Here's my two cents. I think your thought is good that context and meaning is very important when it comes to "curse" words. I think the word itself can probably be used in different scenarios and one would be cursing and another not as you have indicated in the last line. :)

But cursing is problematic. Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount breaks down that even the margins between the laws are under his Lordship. So even though the law says nothing about anger, Jesus does. He says calling one a "Fool!" is in danger of hell fire. Not something I want to mess with.

So according to my latest thinking on "practical monotheism" that God wanted from the beginning for us to relate every area of our lives to him(from mold, to menstrual cycles, to how to deal with a donkey that falls in a pit on the Sabbath)this would be included. Whatever the scenario as long as we relate our thoughts, feelings, actions, emotions to and under the Lordship of Jesus we are cool.

Any thought that there are areas that God doesn't care about is "practical polytheism." Dig it?

Vince Larson said...

I absolutely dig it! Christ is either lord of all, or lord of nothing. I believe He passionately cares about every part of our lives - how we relate to Him and each other. The feeling is mutual. I want Him involved in every area of mine.

Very good point!

Jeffrey Garner said...

Here are my five cents. Paul said, "I count it all shit" in comparison to the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Cuss words and profanity is a modern invention. In the Disciple's Manifesto Jesus was saying don't call someone a name that dehumanizes or demeans them for you are reflecting on the image of their maker. Don't call anyone a 'fool' is radically different from how one of my profs at seminary tried and tried to find a word to describe our self-righteousness and personal efforts at prestige and landed on "shit". When he said it, it was sacred. I had a real picture of what my degrees, long sleeve shirts and clean-shaven face, and blockbusteredless wallet looked like in light of the cross.

I am not an advocate for cussing in pulpits, i loathe it when kids are dumbed down to a vocabulary that described everything with an F-Bomb. I think they are lazy, slothful and unintelligent. For that matter if my pastor got up adn said, "Bitch" in the pulpit i would take my kids by the arms and leave the church.

Some words are just uncouth, foul, and discriminating. A follower of Jesus Christ shouldnt discriminate against anyone or even sterotype.

I heard a preacher at one of our most attended conferences last year got up and said, "what do you expect he was a Jew" referring to Abrahmam "jewing" down God over Sodom and Gomorrah. That is worse than "shit" or "damn". That is calling a man a "fool"

Coral Cook III said...

Go listen to this to understand the many uses of the word fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCtOUxYBgA&feature=related

top