I've known this song for quite a while, but never really "listened" to it.

The other night I was driving back home in the rain, hoping Nancy had made it home safely with the kids (she didn't have her cell). I was thinking about what life would be like without them: their ghosts that I would see in all the places we frequented, their laughter that lights up my life - silenced...I couldn't imagine it.

This is what came to mind as I drove the long drive home alone late at night in the rain.

Then this song began to play... listen to it as you read the words below.




Stardust
And now the purple dusk of twilight time

Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb

Always reminding me that were apart

You wander down the lane and far away

Leaving me a song that will not die

Love is now the stardust of yesterday

The music of the years gone by


Sometimes I wonder why I spend

The lonely nights dreaming of a song.

The melody haunts my reverie

And I am once again with you.

When our love was new,
And each kiss an inspiration.

But that was long ago, and now my consolation

Is in the stardust of a song.


Beside the garden wall,
When stars are bright

You are in my arms

The nightingale tells his fairy tale

Of paradise where roses grew.
Though I dream in vain, in my heart you will remain

My stardust melody
The memory of loves refrain.


...The moment was haunted. I tried to imagine what the man who wrote it looked like. Was he a middle-aged musician, sitting at a piano, smoking a cigarette in a bar somewhere late at night... one glass of scotch closer to numbing the pain of his loss? What was the pain he was feeling? How many people have felt that same aching feeling? I imagined him taking a pen out of his pocket and scribbling those words on a napkin...

Anyway, the guy was talented. It's amazing how life's most devastating moments spawn its most inspirational and eloquent works of art. I don't think there exists a more nostalgic, beautifully put together song about loss. Your thoughts?

0 Interesting Statements:

top